Friday, July 22, 2011

Geoff's ranking of TV Dramas: the beginning

To jumpstart my attempt at regular blogging about various things that interest me, I decided to examine the various TV shows I've watched and followed. I usually read other persons reviews (like Alan Sepinwall, Mo Ryan, the AV Club, TWOP, etc etc) and enjoy their thoughts but never got into looking at my own views/thoughts on these shows. Thus, I've decided to list the top 15 dramas I've seen and rank them up to #1. I won't be doing them all at once, probably one per day.

This list will cover only 1-hour dramas that I have actually seen and can comment on. Thus, there are shows like "Treme", "Mad Men", "Boardwalk Empire", "Men of a Certain Age" and "Dr. Who" that I am confident will find a place on the list, replacing other contenders...however, since I haven't been able to watch those shows for one reason or another, I can't place them. Yet. Edited July 24 to add The Good Wife to this list, I'm pretty sure I will like it, once I start following it more.

I've also left off sitcoms and comedies. I find that I don't really watch the live-action ones anymore, but I lean more towards the animated ones like "Archer", "South Park", Fox Sunday Nights, and others. "Archer" is one of the best shows on TV though, and I'll give it it's own analysis one day. Maybe I will get back into the live action comedies like "Parks and Recreation", "Cougar Town" and others, but at the moment they just don't really grab me like the dramas and animated comedies do.

There are also shows I watch regularly and like, but I know that they are either guilty pleasures, or they aren't deep enough to be on a ranked list of TV dramas, as well as shows that were ALMOST good enough to make the list but didn't, for one reason or another. This category will be the first detailed blog posting, and I'll post it up soon.

So, here goes something! Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy my views.

No comments: